Jurassic Park Gift Shop Souvenirs
Pictures from my recent visit to Universal’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando. Would love to have bought one of everything, but my budget and limited luggage space prevented it. :P
As you can see there is variety of souvenir merchandise available, both with the Jurassic Park brand and without. Most of the same items can be found at both of the park’s Jurassic-themed shops, the Dinostore (located within the JP Discovery Center) and Jurassic Outfitters (located at the exit of the Jurassic Park River Adventure Ride), although the latter is larger and had quite a few items that the other did not.
Products vary in price and quality: In all honesty, many of the items are cheaply-made generic trinkets with a JP logo slapped on them along with a huge markup; while others — such as the t-shirts, beach towels, and glasses — are quality-made and reasonably priced. Others, like the dinosaur and JP vehicle toy packs, fall somewhere in the middle. There are also high-end dinosaur collectibles available, including fossil replicas and figures from Sideshow Collectibles’ Dinosauria line.
A few random observations:
- There were not as many JP-specific items as I expected, and almost nothing tied directly to the ride or the movie: A teddy bear wearing a JP cap is cute, but what does it have to do with anything?
- Some of the best t-shirt designs are only available in children’s sizes. Bummer.
- One of the cashiers at the Dino-Store looked just like John Hammond. That was surreal.
- The packaging on several of the toy items uses the design from Jurassic Park III merchandise. One thing I wish I’d bought but didn’t is the Dinosaur Collection pack of 4 dinosaur figures. Maybe next time.
- Outside of the Jurassic Park section itself at Universal, there is little to no JP merchandise to be found - not even at the Universal Store on City Walk. So be sure to visit the shops and stock up on souvenirs before you leave the JP section of the park.
- As a Jurassic Park fan and collector, the JP shops at Universal overall did not disappoint. There is something for every dinosaur lover or JP enthusiast.
I’ll show off my souvenir haul and review the items I purchased in a later post. :)