Jurassic Park Dinosaur Murals
Just like the Visitor Center in the Jurassic Park film, the walls of the Jurassic Park Discovery Center and Burger Digs restaurant at Universal Orlando are adorned with large murals depicting Mesozoic life. The murals aren’t identical to those seen in the movie, but they are created in much the same style and show Jurassic Park’s dinosaurs in their natural habitats.
Jurassic Park Gift Shop Souvenirs
Pictures from my recent visit to Universal’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando. Would love to have bought one of everything, but my budget and limited luggage space prevented it. :P
As you can see there is variety of souvenir merchandise available, both with the Jurassic Park brand and without. Most of the same items can be found at both of the park’s Jurassic-themed shops, the Dinostore (located within the JP Discovery Center) and Jurassic Outfitters (located at the exit of the Jurassic Park River Adventure Ride), although the latter is larger and had quite a few items that the other did not.
Products vary in price and quality: In all honesty, many of the items are cheaply-made generic trinkets with a JP logo slapped on them along with a huge markup; while others — such as the t-shirts, beach towels, and glasses — are quality-made and reasonably priced. Others, like the dinosaur and JP vehicle toy packs, fall somewhere in the middle. There are also high-end dinosaur collectibles available, including fossil replicas and figures from Sideshow Collectibles’ Dinosauria line.
A few random observations:
- There were not as many JP-specific items as I expected, and almost nothing tied directly to the ride or the movie: A teddy bear wearing a JP cap is cute, but what does it have to do with anything?
- Some of the best t-shirt designs are only available in children’s sizes. Bummer.
- One of the cashiers at the Dino-Store looked just like John Hammond. That was surreal.
- The packaging on several of the toy items uses the design from Jurassic Park III merchandise. One thing I wish I’d bought but didn’t is the Dinosaur Collection pack of 4 dinosaur figures. Maybe next time.
- Outside of the Jurassic Park section itself at Universal, there is little to no JP merchandise to be found - not even at the Universal Store on City Walk. So be sure to visit the shops and stock up on souvenirs before you leave the JP section of the park.
- As a Jurassic Park fan and collector, the JP shops at Universal overall did not disappoint. There is something for every dinosaur lover or JP enthusiast.
I’ll show off my souvenir haul and review the items I purchased in a later post. :)
"All major theme parks have delays…"
Jurassic World teaser poster by Paul O’Brien.
The previously mentioned Jurassic Park carnival games at Universal Orlando have now opened! It looks like there are plenty of references to the movie within the games themselves (check the link for detailed info on each game), thought it’s a bit of a shame the prizes appear to be generic stuffed animals instead of something a little more dinosaur- or JP-related.
MSU paleontologist Jack Horner has won a lifetime achievement award from the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology.
Real-life inspiration for Jurassic Park’s Alan Grant character — and scientific consultant on the Jurassic films — Jack Horner has won a Lifetime Achievement award from Society of Vertebrate Paleontology for his contributions to the field. Congratulations, Dr. Horner!
The long-expected confirmation that actress Bryce Dallas Howard will join the cast of Jurassic World has come from the actress herself this week.
In an interview in USA Today, Bryce casually mentioned:
"They’re relaunching the Jurassic Park franchise, so I’ll be chasing dinosaurs. That’s going to happen next year.”
Reports of Universal’s interest in Bryce for Jurassic World surfaced earlier this year, and her involvement with the fourth Jurassic Park has been rumored as far back as previous iterations of the film.
Actors Nick Robinson and Ty Simpkins have also been confirmed. Jurassic World is directed by Colin Trevorrow and will begin filming next spring for a June 2015 release.